Is it really possible for the government to protect you from misuse of your data by tech companies? In fairness, laws simply aren’t made fast enough to keep up with the pace of innovation, which means that some of the current situation is simply a case of unintended consequences. However, governments should act quickly to protect citizens going forward. Listen to the episode to learn more about how regulation can help.
Some highlights of today’s episode include:
- The Fair Credit Reporting Act prevents credit agencies from basing your credit score on social media or other data, but can’t stop your bank or landlord from using that information against you
- Tech companies claim that regulation stifles innovation, but this is disingenuous
- Algorithms are not magic, they’re just a list of instructions
- The importance of evaluating how much data the government actually needs to collect
- The importance of evaluating whether or not the government is keeping the data it collects safe.
- The importance of educating yourself about privacy so that you have the tools to protect yourself
Links and Resources:
To purchase the book, visit YourPrivacyBook.com
This podcast is powered by PodcastMotor