We’ve included the six directories we believe are the most creepy, so start there with your opting out. A few things to remember when doing these privacy takedowns:
- Use a secure browser like Brave or Tor
- Use a burner email or email condom when email addresses are required for verifying the request
- Don’t give them any more information than what they already have – so if a service or directory doesn’t have your information yet, don’t give it to them for the sake of preemptively opting out
If you don’t have the time to do this all yourself, and have the cash to pay someone (or some service) to do it for you, we recommend, in no particular order: Optery, Kanary, and DeleteMe.
This is a big list, and processes change, as publishers try and make this more difficult for folks over time. So if you try and process or a link and it no longer works, please get in touch and we’ll make sure it’s updated.
The opt-out process for the Big 6 was confirmed on Oct 25, 2022.
The Big 6 Data Creeps
- Opt out at: https://www.beenverified.com/app/optout/search
- Opt out of property search: https://www.beenverified.com/app/optout/address-search
- Find your information here: https://www.intelius.com
- Opt out here: https://www.intelius.com/optout
Intelius owns a lot of different directories, including:
- Possibly US Search
- Find your information here: https://www.whitepages.com/
- Opt out here: https://www.whitepages.com/suppression_requests
- If that is no longer available, try https://support.whitepages.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
You will need to provide a phone number and enter an opt-out code when you receive the phone call.
Opt-out information is available here: https://support.whitepages.com/hc/en-us/articles/115010106908-How-do-I-edit-or-remove-a-personal-listing
- Find your information here: https://nuwber.com/
- Opt out here: https://nuwber.com/removal/link
- Find your information here: https://clustrmaps.com/
- Opt out here: https://clustrmaps.com/bl/opt-out
- It will ask you for a mailing address, and doesn’t seem to verify it. It will then ask you to check off anything associated with your account that you want removed.
- Find your information here: https://www.peoplefinders.com/
- Opt out here:https://www.peoplefinders.com/opt-out
Other Data Creeps & Their Opt Out Process
If you’ve been doxed, you can remove your contact info from Google Search and Bing.
Google also allows you to remove non-consensual or intimate personal photographs, involuntary fake pornography, irrelevant pornography, and stuff about you on sites with exploitative removal methods from Google search results for your name.
People Search Sites
Opt out here:
- In the US: https://isapps.acxiom.com/optout/optout.aspx#section8
- Non-US: https://isapps.acxiom.com/optout/optout.aspx#section7
For reference: https://isapps.acxiom.com/optout/optout.aspx
If you don’t have an email address, call (877) 774-2094 and follow the prompts. Note Aboutthedata is no longer owned by Acxicom, so isn’t able to be used to confirm what data they have on you. You’ll likely need to go in blind and assume they have info on you…which is probably the case.
Process confirmed Feb 21 2023
Advanced Background Checks
- Find your information here: https://www.advancedbackgroundchecks.com/
- Opt out here: https://www.advancedbackgroundchecks.com/removal
Note this is a bit confusing because they have a lot of ads and links pulling from other people directories. Make sure you follow the instructions closely in terms of what you should click on. Otherwise, assume they don’t have your data, but these other companies do. You also need to be located in the US to access this website.
Process confirmed Feb 21 2023
- Sign up for a free trial: https://www.archives.com/search/ancestor/checkout
- Opt out here: http://www.archives.com/Optout
- Opt out here: https://www.backgroundalert.com/optout/
- Find your information here: https://checkpeople.com/
- Opt out here: https://checkpeople.com/do-not-sell-info
You will need to fill out a form and captcha, select the record for removal, fill out your name and email, and solve another captcha. You will receive an email which will require you to confirm your opt-out request.
- Find information here: https://cocofinder.com/search
- Opt out here: https://cocofinder.com/remove-my-info. It will send you to this Google form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScEgLH9ro7oQR4c0V9E19ug1Gb7wVMrFFSj0Sgx4sjba_ET4Q/viewform
- Find your information here: https://www.cyberbackgroundchecks.com/
- Opt out here: https://www.cyberbackgroundchecks.com/removal
You will need to confirm by clicking a link sent via email.
Opt out here: https://www.familytreenow.com/optout
Opt out here: https://www.fastpeoplesearch.com/removal
- Find information here: https://www.freepeopledirectory.com
- Opt out here: https://www.spokeo.com/privacy/control
- Find information here: https://homemetry.com/
- If your name is listed alongside your address, click on the “information control” link.
There’s a limit per each opt out and each email you use to opt out. You will need to click the verification link they email you to finalize the opt out.
Opt out here: https://www.idtrue.com/optout/
- Find your information here: https://www.infotracer.com/
- Opt out here: https://www.infotracer.com/optout
- You can also mail in this form: https://members.infotracer.com/tspec/shared/assets/data_opt_out_form.pdf or fax it to 1-617-933-9946.
Opt out here: https://www.instantcheckmate.com/opt-out/v2/submit/
- Find your information here: https://www.mylife.com
- Opt out using the following URL: https://www.mylife.com/ccpa/index.pubview
- email your removal request to email@example.com with your name and a link to your profile.
- Or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Generally there are conflicting reports about the success of these requests. Sometimes a phonecall is required, sometimes a free membership, all with varied success.
- Find your information here: https://www.peekyou.com/
- Opt out here: https://www.peekyou.com/about/contact/optout.
- Find your information here: http://www.peoplebyname.com/people
- Opt out from each record here: http://www.peoplebyname.com/remove.php
Opt out here: https://www.peoplesearchnow.com/opt-out
- Find your information here: https://www.peoplesearchsite.com
- Opt out by clicking the link at the bottom of the profile you want to remove.
- You can also try emailing email@example.com.
- Find your information here: https://persopo.com/search
- Follow the opt out instructions here: http://info.persopo.com/opt-out.html
- Find your information here: https://pipl.com
- Opt out here: https://pipl.com/personal-information-removal-request
- You can also email support at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Find your information here: https://www.privateeye.com/
- Opt out here: https://www.privateeye.com/static/view/optout/
Opt out here: https://www.privaterecords.net/optOut/name/landing
- Find your information here: https://www.publicrecordsnow.com/
- Opt out here: https://www.publicrecordsnow.com/static/view/contact/
- Find your information here: http://radaris.com.
- Opt out using this process: http://radaris.com/page/how-to-remove
- Required to register to remove information
- Are limited to how many items you can remove at a time
- Find your information here: https://rehold.com/
- If there is a number or name next to your address you’d like removed, click on the red “remove” button next to it. You will need to enter your name and email address and solve a captcha.
- First search free at: https://www.searchbug.com (if you want to see your info you have to pay)
- Contact them at https://www.searchbug.com/contact-us.aspx or by chat, by phone at (760) 652-4050, or by fax at (760) 454-7341 to request blocking of personal info
- Find your information here: https://www.searchpeoplefree.com/
- Opt out here: https://www.searchpeoplefree.com/opt-out
- Find your information here: https://www.searchquarry.com/
- Opt out here: https://www.searchquarry.com/opt-out/
- You will need to click the verification link in your inbox to finalize the opt out.
- Find your information here: https://www.smartbackgroundchecks.com/
- Opt out here: https://www.smartbackgroundchecks.com/optout
- Find your information here: https://socialcatfish.com/
- Opt out using this process https://socialcatfish.com/opt-out/
- You’ll need to provide your email address and click on a confirmation link to complete the opt-out process.
- Find your information here (using last name and first name): https://www.spoke.com/
- Click each name listing, and suppress it by clicking the “Request Removal” link at the bottom of the page, entering the URL in the contact form it takes you to, and providing your email address.
- You can also email your removal request to email@example.com.
- Historical opt out page: here
- Find your information here https://www.spokeo.com/search
- Opt out here: https://www.spokeo.com/optout
- Find your informationhere: https://www.spyfly.com
- Opt out here: https://www.spyfly.com/help-center/remove-my-public-record
- You can also try emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Opt out here: https://www.truepeoplesearch.com/removal
- Find your information here: https://thatsthem.com/
- Opt out here: https://thatsthem.com/optout
Op out here: https://www.truthfinder.com/opt-out/v2/submit
More details about the opt-out process: https://www.truthfinder.com/about/#how-do-i-opt-out-of-truthfinder
- Find your information here: https://unmask.com/
- Opt out here: https://unmask.com/opt-out/
USA People Search
Opt out here: https://www.usa-people-search.com/manage
United States Phone Book
- Find for your information here: https://www.unitedstatesphonebook.com/search.php
- Opt out here: https://www.unitedstatesphonebook.com/contact.php
Opt out here: https://www.ussearch.com/opt-out/submit/
Opt out here: https://www.usphonebook.com/opt-out/
- Find your information here: https://verecor.com
- Opt out here: https://verecor.com/ng/control/privacy
You will need to fill out a captcha, and confirm the email link to finalize your request. If it doesn’t go through, you may need to email email@example.com.
- Find your information here: VoterRecords.com
- Find your information, scroll to the bottom and click on the “record opt-out” link. This will lead to an opt-out form, which you’ll need to submit. You may receive a verification link you’ll need to click on to verify your opt-out request.
- Find your information at https://www.xlek.com/
- Opt out at https://www.xlek.com/optout.php
- You’ll need to submit a separate opt-out request for each item you’d like removed
- Find your information by filling out this form: https://www.zoominfo.com/update/remove
- Opt out if it has an email on record—they will email you a code.